Tuesday, February 09, 2016(BPT)—Much of the expense of a kitchen renovation comes from the labor involved—but many remodeling projects, such as backsplash installment or cabinet refurbishment, can be completed by homeowners with DIY experience. If you’re of the “can-do” variety, consider “hiring out” the following projects—to yourself!
1. DIY Backsplash –Take the guesswork out of grout with self-adhesive vinyl tiles (some even mimic the look of copper or tin) and arrange in a cohesive pattern. Draw design inspiration from sources like Pinterest, home décor magazines or your local home improvement retailer.
2. DIY Cabinetry – There’s no way around it: replacing cabinetry is expensive. If you’re handy with tools, refurbish the ones already in your kitchen with new doors or re-facing material, or new hardware, from your local home improvement retailer.
3. DIY Countertops – Replacing your countertop is also a costly undertaking. Go for laminate, again from your local home improvement retailer, for a fraction of the price—many come in finishes similar to concrete, granite or marble, with little discernible difference from the real alternative.
4. DIY Sink – Mounting a sink may seem daunting, but many products on the market today make it possible for homeowners to handle the project on their own. Look for a top-mount model with pre-attached clips, which can simply be dropped into place from above.
5. DIY Storage – You don’t have to customize your cabinets to maximize storage inside them. Purchase off-the-shelf organizers, such as pullouts and rollouts, turntables, under-shelf baskets and gravity-feed can racks to get the same effect for less.
RISMedia welcomes your questions and comments. Send your e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org