Thursday, December 08, 2016Are you planning for a move? Read on for five tips to save money and stress as you relocate.
1. Declutter first. Start your moving process by getting rid of as much as possible. This does two things: you will score some extra dollars by selling old items, and save money by transporting less. You will also save yourself the hassle of moving boxes from one musty garage to another.
2. Find a professional. While it may seem cheaper to enlist the help of your friends and family to pack up and move you, it can cost you more money and stress.A pro mover is fast, efficient, experience, and has all the tools you need. And when you hire a professional, you don't have to worry about cousin Jimmy not showing up on move day.
3. Research. Before you choose a professional, do your research. Read reviews, get on the phone and ask questions. These days, you can find a company that will not only move you, but also help you set up your cable and utilities. Bonus!
4. Shut down your services: In order to avoid paying for an overlap of service, consider cutting some of your services in advance if your your billing cycle doesn't line up with your move date. While you can't live without electricity, you could do without those cable channels for a week or two.
5. Plan smarter: The height of moving season takes place between May and September. Consider moving in the off season so you have room to find a moving bargain, and book early.
RISMedia welcomes your questions and comments. Send your e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org